Re: Car of the century

Scott Fisher says

>1.  While Sir Alec Issigonis' Mini (another choice) was in 1959 the
>first car to use the transverse FWD layout, Honda's use of it in the
>1973 Civic -- the first by a company outside of the British
>Phlegmsucking Leyland oligarchy of dunces -- moved it out of the realm
>of oddball or niche cars (such as Saab, Audi, and Lancia) and into the
>global market.

Errr.  Fiat 127, introduced around 1969.  FWD, tranverse engine with
in-line gearbox, all-independent suspension, hatchback.  Fiat 128,
introduced around 1970, ditto minus the hatch (available as 2 and 4 door
saloons, wagon and Coupe) but plus SOHC.  Both sold in millions and set the
mass market standards of the day.  VW used the 128 as the Golf benchmark.

>4.  Virtually every automobile in the world today owes its platform,
>layout, and execution to the transverse FWD setup that the Civic, if not
>invented, then certainly proved in the automotive world.

I disagree.  Fiat invented and proved it.

>Bingo.  And today, the everyday person -- including our European
>counterparts who are driving new Fiat automobiles marketed and sold
>under the Alfa Romeo brand name -- -- are driving cars that owe their
>market acceptance to Alec Issigonis, Soichiro Honda, and whoever the
>engineer on Giorgetto Giugiaro's team was who adopted the exact same
>powertrain layout for the original VW Golf of 1975.  Which is why three
>of my picks were the Mini, the Civic, and the Golf.

Well actually, they owe it to Fiat, a company with a tradition throughout
the century of designing and building great *small* cars which transcended
the standards of the their times.  These have mostly also been excellent
drivers' cars because they were (and are) engineered by people who love
driving and know how to do it properly.  It therefore comes as little
surprise to me that Fiat never prospered in the US.  What brings me great
sorrow is that in *this* forum, Fiat is at best ignored, or at worst
shamefully attacked for appropriately managing their business.  And the
next time you enjoy a great drive in your Chrysler Neon or Ford Mondeo,
cast your mind back to the evil cart-sprung, push-rodded shoddy
monstrosities that set the standard circa 1970 outside Europe, and give
thanks to Fiat for lifting the game from the late 19th to the late 20th
century.

Cheers
Mat