Re: alfa-digest V6 #280

> Subject: Car of the Century Comments
> Lawrence Gowin
>
> I just browsed the Car of the Century site and I highly recommend it for
> anyone on the digest.  There's a good representation of cars including
> (wisely, I feel) the Honda Civic, the Toyota Corolla, and some other less
> flashy, yet important cars.  My GTV wasn't on there, but its impact was much
> less substantial than the Giulietta Sprint that made the list.

I'm going to disagree.

I submit that the fuss over the Bertone Giulietta is a continuation of the
damning of the 105 marking its introduction.  OK, the Bertone Giulietta
was nice, but an example of design through a lump of clay on a board,
rather than conception as a sculpture in three-dimensional space -- and
surely trivial in comparison to the contemporary Porsche 356.

OTOH, the 105 disigno di Bertone <was> a foretaste of things to come --
and one of those classic timeless designs.

> I think they forgot the Bugeye...small, affordable, monocoque roadster for the
> public.  It was a trendsetter.  Oh well, its not my list.

Perhaps -- but not the bug-eyes.

My nomination for the most influential car that never was built is the
Cangruo.

But a poll is just a poll.  A meaningful judgment would require the input
of the ghost of Raymond Lowie (or y or whatever -- famed industrial
designer -- of the original, clean Studebaker hard-top in 54) or the like.

r.m.bies