Re: Bleeding the GTV6 cooling system

Vangelis Kokkevis <vangelis@aw.sgi.com> writes:
> Tip #1:  The shop manual suggests removing the radiator from the car
> without removing the fans that are attached to it.... Unless if you are
> willing to do some serious detective work to disconnect the fans from
> their power supply, remove the fans first!

I always remove them together. There is a plug (or two) that's easy to
disconnect. It might be right at the fan motor body.

> Question #1:  The owner's manual says that one should start adding
> coolant with the bleeding screw open until coolant flows out of the
> bleeding screw.  Then the engine should be started and left running
> until all the air bleeds... Well, in my case, nothing came out of the
> bleeding screw.  In fact, I took it out completely and it seems like it
> goes into a blocked threaded hole.  There was no sign of coolant there!
> I left the engine running until I wasn't getting any more air bubbles in
> the cooland reservoir... That's the only way I could see bleeding the
> system...  Any comments?  What did I get wrong?
You are loosening the plug on the top of the thermostat, right? Mine will
bleed even without the engine running.
--
Colin Verrilli     Raleigh, NC     verrilli@vnet.ibm.com
'84 GTV6        '87 Milano Gold         '94 164LS Auto