re 164S noise

I had the same sort of problem with mine. used to squeak under braking and
when the car got G forces from the right hand side. Does yours change as you
select different fan speeds? if it does then it is almost certainly the
heater fan motor bearings.
You can get it out. It took me about an hour when I did it. the only thing
is you have to disconnect the air con system so make sure you have tracked
it down before doing it.

Once you get the blower motor assembly out you will find that the fan motor
is pressed together (no screws) This can be taken apart however (do it at
the fan end) and put back together quite successfully. I didn't have access
to a new one so I was forced to do just that. The bearings are of the
phosphor-bronze type and once the motor is apart all you need to do is
re-oil them.

Matthew Dooher
Dunedin, New Zealand
164A