Syncro Wear

When Alfa first designed the transmission (a design licensed from Porsche
the story I heard was that the trans design was a swap for the Alfin drum
brake design)it was a 4 speed design. When the 5th gear was added there was
a significant increase in the rotating mass. This increase is what lead to
the premature failure of the syncro rings. I never had this problem with
the 4 speed trany.

If you pause slightly in the neutral position while shifting the syncro
life will increase significantly.

The best permanent fix to a 5 speed trans is to lighten the gears as was
done in the GTA. Properly done the syncro life will easily double. As an
added bonus the trans can be shifted significantly faster. It is a whole
different feel, light and quick, very uncharacteristic of the Alfa trans.

I agree that proper shifting technique will extend the syncro life. But a
lightened gear box will make even a lousy shifter look like a pro.

TOM SAHINES ARA TECH HOT LINE SAN JOSE CA