Various

          Subject: Fire Extinguishers

          The Sports Car Club of America or SCCA's 1998 General Competition
          Rules,  GCR section 12.22.2 provides specifications for hand-held
          Fire  Extinguishers.    These  are allowed  for  Showroom  Stock,
          (Unimproved)  Touring and  Improved  Touring classes  only.   All
          other classes require on board fire systems.
               GCR Section 12.22.2(C) states:
               <The fire extinguisher shall be securely mounted in the
               cockpit.   All mounting brackets shall be  metal and of
               the quick-release type.>

          As a nationally  licensed Scrutineer, I  have observed many  race
          cars  where the metal bracket was further secured with duct tape.
          I approve of  this so long as the end of  the tape is turned back
          on itself to form a pull tab for quick access.  Things do tend to
          come loose in race cars and the duct tape is a safety feature.

          I might also approve the addition of a velcro strap as additional
          support for the extinguisher, but only if the velcro were made of
          nomex.  It would not do to have a  fire extinguisher burn up in a
          fire.  I am kidding.

          Subject: Spider Air Conditioning Belts

          My  87 Graduate is up on stands  in the garage.  New motor mounts
          sit  beside it in  the box they  arrived in yesterday.   Why am I
          messing around here?

          Bruce Giller  just taught me  something.   The shims in  my parts
          washer are to  change the thickness  of the  pulley and thus  the
          tension of the air conditioner belt.  Thanks, Bruce,  I might not
          have  figured that  out by  myself.   That  tip may  justify more
          procrastination.

          I  bought the  Graduate a  year ago,  quite by  accident (another
          story), drove  it a couple  of days and  stored it.   Recently it
          became time to get it  on the street.  It was  poorly maintained,
          so  I changed  the oil,  filters, plugs, hoses  and belts.   When
          installing  the air conditioner belt  I noticed rust  on the sway
          bar exactly  equal in length  to the  air conditioner belt.   The
          belt would barely slip on the air conditioner pulley (which turns
          freely).  The motor mounts had obviously sagged.  This also tends
          to explain the absence of a belt on this particular spider.

          I thought of shimming  between the motor mounts and  crossmember.
          Since I had the intake plenum off anyway (still another story), I
          decided to do the job correctly and ordered  motor mounts.  Shims
          would have worked for a while, but I spent $75 on new mounts.

          If someone does decide to shim their engine, I suggest they watch
          hood clearance.   I once  dimpled a hood  by not aligning  a hose
          clamp in the  lowest possible position.   The clamp fits next  to
          the valve cover on the hose to the oil/vapor separator.  Modeling
          clay or somesuch could be used check hood clearance.  I have also
          used clay to check piston to valve clearance.

          Check the wiring  diagram and I think you will  find that the fan
          in front of the  condenser of air conditioned spiders  is already
          controlled by a thermostatic switch.  Check your local speed shop
          for larger electric fans to fit in front of the radiator.

          Subject: Alfa second gear synchros

          Roger LaFerriere says <  Second gear synchros in Alfa  gear boxes
          wear out because the owner doesn't know how to change gears! >

          The guy  who introduced me to  Alfa Romeo some years  ago said to
          shift as if a plum were between your hand and the  shifter and to
          pull the shifter out of gear, pause and move it to the next gear.
          Probably  good advice  on having  a gentle  hand and  letting the
          shifter  move its  desired route.   However,  when someone  has a
          timing device in action  and intends to record my  performance in
          competition, well, that plum tends to get plumb smushed.

          Subject: Alfa Longevity

          When my Milano  blew its bikini  head gasket at 104,000  miles, I
          pulled  the engine down.   I had never been into  an Alfa V-6 and
          wanted  to learn.   I never believed  I would put  an engine back
          together with  100,000 miles on the  bearings, but I did.   I did
          put in rings and grind the  valves.  My daughter is still driving
          it  today with 142,000 miles.   It still has the original shocks,
          clutch and pressure plate  as well.   I think maintenance is  the
          key, not just Alfa longevity.  I have torn down spiders with base
          metal showing in the bearings at 50,000 miles.

          Subject: Sears Craftsman

          Bruce forgot  to mention  that a Craftsman  5 mm allen  wrench is
          required to remove  the bolts holding the air  conditioner pulley
          to the harmonic balancer.  An S&K  36 mm socket is needed to turn
          the engine over.  Earlier spiders  require a 38 mm socket and the
          Milano is 41  mm, but brand  is not  as important here.   It  is,
          however, required that you have a 6 wheel Snap On  creeper.  Your
          personal comfort is important and worth the extra expense.

          Subject: Legal & Fun?

          John Justus,  are you  trying to say  those highway signs  in the
          Ozarks were the speed limit?  I thought we were on highway 101!

          Russ Neely
          Oklahoma City
          I own some Alfas, but how do you count them?  Count the camshafts
          and divide by two?  But what of the cams in the attic?