RE: Exploding fan saga

Hal Taylor wrote:
> ...there hasn't been an A/C belt on the car since I've
> owned it. Seems like this might be a good time to install
> one, and see if there's anything left of the A/C system.

One possible cause for the fan to explode is sagging motor mounts
that allowed the fan to hit the chassis on accel or decel.
Another symptom of sagging motor mounts I've seen is the inability
to keep an A/C belt on the car. This is because sagging mounts allow
too little clearance between the compressor pulley and front sway
bar for the existance of a belt. One friend's Graduate that needed
new mounts actually had a groove cut into the sway bar by the
compressor pulley.

So, before you put on a new A/C belt, check that your motor
mounts are OK.

Good luck,

Rich