broken berlina

My Berlina broke in a bad way.  It accidentally
was over revved , way way way beyond redline . The
fuel pump belt snapped (it was only 6 months old)
and the starter ring gear is loose . I haven't
pulled  the engine out yet so I don't know why its
loose , but I can reach in the starter hole and
turn it with one finger and it has play back and
forth.
I checked the valve timing and it is still ok , I
don't think there was any valve to piston
clearance. I 'll no the whole story when I get it
out.  If the engine needs to be rebuilt I may just
swap it out with one from a very rusty Berlina
that I'm going to pick up in the next couple
weeks.  I have a couple of questions  , the first
is can I pull the engine and transmission together
on a Berlina , or do I need to separate them ? The
other question is , the cars that I am buying have
sat outside in seattle weather (rain) for two
years . What are the chances that the engine I
want to use will be frozen (rings rusted to
liners) after sitting that long ? I know from
sources other than the seller that the car was in
exceptional mechanical condition before it was
parked and that it has had many new parts put on
it including a new Spica pump so if the engine is
not frozen I should be able to just drop it in
mine and resume using that car as my main 4 wheel
transport(motoguzzi is my preferred means of
transport).
Thanks in advance for any advice , David