Re: dreaded cooling fan

For Hal Taylor,

I don't know what a used radiator costs, radiators can be repaired.  If you
remove the radiator and take it to a radiator shop, they can tell you whether
they can and how much it will cost.  The radiator will have to come out, so you
would save on labor doing it yourself.

The round cylinder on a diamond-shaped base with two wires coming out of it is
a temperature sensor for the exhaust air from the fan.  The air conditioner
control uses feedback from this to turn off the cooling fan.  On hot days, mine
would stay on whether I had the air conditioner on or not, and keep it on after
the engine was stopped.  Pouring a cold drink on it would make the fan stop.
It is supposed to be screwed into two holes on the shroud which are
approximately in the 2:00 position, looking at the shroud from the engine's POV.

You also should replace your engine mounts.  The reason the engine could flop
forward until the fan hit the radiator is that they are too weak.  Probably you
should replace the trans mount at the same time.  The engine mounts are a do-it
yourself job, but I was unable to do the trans myself without the proper puller.

Good luck with it.

Steve Milstein
87 Spider Graduate
Reston, VA