Re: Subject: Alfa Romeo 33 16v 1st Gear Crunch

>However, when shifting into first gear I occasionally
>get the dreaded gear crunch.  I've read that this is a 'characteristic' of
>the model.  What is the cause and can I do something about it?

Eddie,
I wouldn't worry too much about the first gear, your gearbox is not on its way out. You're right, this is one of the characteristics of the 33 gearbox. My previously two 33s had the same problem. Besides the already mentioned advice of engaging 2nd gear and then 1st gear (which does work) you can also try engaging 1st gear by pushing the stick hard to the left whilst pushing forward to engage first, this also works but only when the car is at a standstill. You'll soon build-up those arm muscles and get use to it (along with sitting in your car and your legs naturally veering towards the left for the offset pedals!)

Tim