v6 afm's

Was interested in the discussion of the last few weeks involving
modified or enlarged afm's for V6 engines.
As I currently understand it, stock units can be modified, or one can
simply replace w/ a larger unit from der Bimmer?
Could those in the know please compare/contrast these two approaches.
Also, if commenting on the BMW option, which part from which car is this
exactly?
I'm toying w/ the idea of installing a modded ecu and afm in my 3.0 75
which is stock except for "S" cams.  As it currently exits, it seems to
hit the rev limiter far to easily.
Thanks,
Peter Kemos
'73 GTV