Re: GTV-6 fuel pump not running

Sandro describes the exact scenario I dealt with in November:

>Car won't start, will crank over just fine, so I checked to see if the
>fuel pump was whining, nothing, not even a sound.
>
>I disconnected the combo relay, cleaned out the connections. Still no
>whine from the fuel pump.  I moved the airflow meter flap and could here a
>clicking in the relay but no fuel pump noise at all, just silence.  Then I
>took the combo relay off my Milano and installed it in the GTV-6. Nothing,
>then just to check I put the combo relay out of the gtv-6 into my car and
>it worked just fine.  THen miraculously I jiggled the pump, filter area
>on the gtv-6 and it started. WE drove it around and then parked it.  THen
>today no amount of banging on the pump would get the car to run and start.
>

>What is the prognosis.  I had the exact same problem on my Milano and just
>changed the combo relay, what else controls the fuel pump from getting
>juice.

Sandro, here's what I found out with my Milano.  First off, since you got a
click from the relay when moving the AFM you are getting juice to the
pink/white wire.  From there that wire goes through two connections on it's
way to the pump.  One is the connector right next to the combo relay and the
other is under the left side rear seat.  Clean those up and hopefully you'll
have joy.

Now here's the wierd part that I could never figure out and hopefully some
of the electrically knowledgeable folks can help out.  On my car I tested
the p/w wire at the fuel pump and got a zero volts reading.  When I
disconnected the p/w wire from the pump it read 10.6 volts.  This test was
repeated many times.  What I finally did was bypass the p/w wire completely
from combo relay to fuel pump and that wire showed 12+ volts - not to
mention the pump now ran.  Why would the 10.6 volts get 'lost'?  does the
pump not run without a full 12v?  and does the voltage going into the pump
not go to ground unless the pump runs?

Clean up those connectors on the p/w wire and totally bypass it if you have
to, at least to test the wire.  The pink/white wire doesn't do anything
besides go to the fuel pump.

>IS there a way to hot wire the fuel pump, the pink wire on the combo
>relay, directly to positive juice just to get the car going?
Yes but hot wiring it to the relay will work just fine as long as the AFM is
triggering the relay as it should (and seems to be in your case)

Chris Lesher