Re: bad generator?

Simon Favre wrote:

> Steve Schaeffer wrote:
>
> >Turner did wonderfully, but my little 1600 motor is still running the
> >stock generator, and the dashboard light came on during the track event
> >and has stayed on.  I checked the obvious things, the drive belt is
> >still properly tensioned, all my leads seem to be attached.  What are
> >the first things to check for, can I get a voltage reading right from
> >the generator?  Which voltage should I see at what rpm, etc, etc.?
>
> >If my generator is bad, I wouldn't hesitate to put an alternator on.  Th
> >is bastardization could always be returned to original quite easily if
> >one desired.

stuff deleted

> With the generator connected back into the circuit, connect the
> voltmeter again and rev the motor up with the field terminal grounded.
> You should also see significant output from the generator.  If the
> generator passes, your problem is likely the regulator.  The regulator
> is just a bunch of relays, and the contacts may have started acting up
> in the wet conditions.  You could try cleaning the contacts, but the
> regulators are not outrageously expensive.

Steve,
Hope you've already got it together, have been out of town and am just
now getting caught up with the Alfa List.  If your generator is good and
you're checking your regulator, you might want to check all the wiring
to the regulator:
Once on a 500 mi. trip to work checkpoints at the Big Bend Bash Rally
back in the '70's, driving my '63 Guilia Sprint, my gen. light gave me
trouble and I had to stop at a Sears in West Texas and buy a battery
charger & plug it in right in there Auto center to charge my battery.

That night, by the way, running in the oilfields in the full moon with
the lights off (to preserve my Die Hard's charge) was an erie and
beautiful experience.  The moon really provides quite a bit of light.

When I got to Big Bend and to the motel and had time to look, OH, OH!
the spade was still attached to the regulator; but the wire to the spade
was hanging by a (thread? hair?) strand of copper.  Prying the connector
open, stripping the wire back a bit and crimping it closed, made my trip
back from Terlingua to Dallas less iffy.

Best Wishes,
Bernie Bennett