common keys/axle swaps/recaros/painting wheels/old 15" tires

>I received only part of v6.n016. Could anyone please send me a copy? It
contains replies to my request of a couple days ago!

>re.:common keys: A few years ago, I stopped to visit a friend of mine who
had a Berlina. I was driving at the time a German Ford Capri. At some point,
my friend needed to open the trunk of his Berlina, but didn't have his keys.
I foolishly tried the key from the Capri, and it worked! It so happened the
door keys from those two cars were just about identical. I have yet to see
it work for ignition keys, and not because I haven't tried...

>re.:105 rear axle swap: all axles from 105/115 cars (Giulia/1750/2000) are
physically interchangeable. The ZF limited slip unit was made available at
some point in the sixties as an over-the-counter performance option, and was
introduced as a factory installed option with the 2000 series in 1972. Most
North-America bound 2000's had it. 2000 rear axles also featured larger half
shafts which are not interchangeable with the half-shafts from earlier unit.
An earlier axle with the smaller shafts can, however, cope with the torque
of a stock 2000 if driven normally. The 2000 axles also have right-hand
threaded studs on both sides, and the studs were made longer to accomodate
the optional mag wheels.
Five axle ratios were available on the various 105 models as factory equipment:
                        4.10 (euro 1750 and 2000 GTV's and Spiders),
                        4.30 (euro 1750 and 2000 Berlinas),
5.13 (Giulia ti's and 1300 ti's)
                        3.89 (quiz: what was it used on ??? Answer next week.)
                        4.55 (just about everything else including all US
spec                                 1750's and 2000's).
Some of the later Spiders may differ. Consequently, 99.9% of the LSD
equipped axles in the USA will be 4.55, which is not a bad choice for
general use. Gives a bit over 3000 rpm at 60 mph.

>Re: Recaros in GTV's: I've seen it done; great if you are 5 feet tall. The
thickness of the seat and its tracks reduces headroom quite a bit.

>Re: 105 wheels: I've never heard of wheels being left unpainted on any
area. It is particularly important to protect the inside of the rim from
rust: otherwise, the beads of the tire (if tubeless) will not seal very long
on a rusty surface. Even tubes could succomb to abrasion against a rusty
surface. All original Alfa wheels I've seen (from 105's) were uniformly
painted silver or a light shade of grey-beige. You don't have to use tubes
if the rim size has a "J" in its designation (such as the 15J x 4,5 stamped
somewhere). This code means that the rim is shaped to accomodate tubeless
tires.

>Re: 15" tires for old Alfas: Giuliettas and early Giulias were fitted with
155/80-15 tires, which have not been available in America for ages. Beware
of old, dried out tires, which are treacherous and have caused the demise of
more than one old Alfa.
Michelin ZX's in this size (and others, such as the 165-400 used on 1900's
and 2600's) are manufactured to order for vintage tire companies; they are
not available through Michelin dealers. Check the back pages of Hemmings and
sit down before reading the price list. Re-Originals have Pirelli Cinturatos
in a similar fashion. 165/80-15 will fit, and are still available anywhere
VW Bugs are found. 175/70-15 is what you want to maintain the same diameter,
but is also obsolete. In general, finding a performance tire in a size that
will fit is just about impossible, short of going to vintage racing Dunlops
or Hoosiers (not for the road!). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Y Boulanger