Cars With Character

(This posting actually has nothing to do with automotive character or lack
thereof, just a followup to a recent thread.)

One evening at last year's Alfa convention in Columbus, I basked in one of my
favorite convention activities - Milling About on Friday Night Among Alfas in
the Parking Lot. While not an official part of the festivities, it's usually a
very enjoyable and convivial time.

Since I had driven up in my '66 Duetto, I was naturally drawn to the small
number of other boattails there. One, a recently restored Spider Junior,
caught my eye since it was visually a near twin of my car - red with black
interior. Its Canadian owner was eager to discuss his car and restoration
effort. Our conversation ended, and the Junior's owner disappeared.

A few minutes later, still milling about, I noticed that the Junior's parking
lights were on. I scanned the horizon, but the owner was nowhere to be seen.
Of course, his doors were locked.

You've probably already guessed the rest of this tale. I tried my door key, it
fit perfectly, and the Junior's battery was saved (no, I didn't try the
ignition!). Of course, the odds of this happening in any other parking lot
anywhere in the country are almost nonexistent.

Do you suppose that some sage at Alfa Romeo, sensing that someday there
wouldn't be many of their cars left, decided to key nearly all of them alike?
Could it be the automotive analogy of several billion humans, but only four or
five different blood types? No, it's probably just coincidence.