valve shim forum input - and a question

I'd like to second - or is that third? - the advice to refrain from
moving long-used valve shims from one valve stem to another.  Agree this
can bring on quite rapid increases in valve clearance in cases where the
valve stem chamfer in the new location does not match up with the
slight indentation worn in the old shim.

I've noticed two kinds of shims.  One has a plain cylindrical outer
surface.  The other is darker material and has a circumferential groove.
Are these early and late?

cheers,

mark m thornton
seattle washington usa