Onwards and upwards...

I haven't had much time to be too active on the ARD, but some folks might
remember the beginnings of my '78 Spider Resurrection last summer.

Well, after a few fits and starts, I'm very happy to report that the
little bugger is finally coming together into a real Alfa again. Much of
the major mechanical work was taken care of some time ago ... it starts
reliably, runs well, get good gas mileage, the wipers work, the lights
work, etc etc etc. The buggerall has been that it just didn't handle
correctly: the steering feel was numb and Buick-like, not what I'd call
confidence inspiring.

The tires were old and hard too, so given the horrid weather we've been
having, I bought a new set of five and dropped it to the shop at the end
of January with notes on what niggles from the last job needed taking
care of plus the mount and balance, and alignment/set up of the front
end. The rest of the suspension had been completely rebuilt last summer
and an alignment supposedly done, but something had to be wrong. I was
out of town for three weeks and when I returned the car was ready to pick
up.

"I don't know who did the previous alignment but the numbers he used were
all wrong. I've set it up with 2 degrees caster, -1/2 degree camber and
.05" toe in, let me know how it feels and we'll adjust from there." Much
better, for sure, but not quite right yet. I was beginning to despair of
getting it to feel like my long lost and very beloved '71 1750 did.
However, it did feel much closer so when I brought it back again, we
discussed what I was feeling and he promised to have another go at it.

A day later it's ready. "I ran the caster up to the clearance limit,
that's about 2.2 degrees, and increased the toe-in to .10". I also made a
very small adjustment to the steering box. Try it now, I think you'll be
pleased..." He had a big grin on his face. I took the car around the
block and there seemed a noticeable improvement in the steering feel. No
charge for the re-adjust, he was happy to see me smiling. Figured I'd
call him after a more extensive drive and let him know how it fares.

Wow! *Finally* it feels like an Alfa again! That sense of confidence, of
steering precision and solidly planted at the limit security, has
returned to this poor little Spider. I raced home, 30+ miles of highway
at 90+ mph, twisting backroads, etc etc ... ye ha! I have an Alfa again!
The Buick is banished!

I was pretty excited last evening and called all my Alfa buddies bubbling
over with enthusiasm. There's nothing quite like an Alfa Spider coming
alive again to make the world seem a nicer place. Now, confidence
restored, I can plan for dealing with the bodywork, paint, interior and
top to make this sweet beast a fine gem again.

Godfrey