Re: alfa-digest V6 #11

>Date: Mon, 23 Feb 98 09:22:36 -0500
>From: "Andrew Watry"<andrew.watry@bender.com>
>Subject: copper piping
>
>     From what I have seen in the British classic car magazines (Classic
>     and Sportscar; Thoroughbred and Classic Cars), it seems copper piping
>     is what everyone uses on a from-the-ground-up rebuild for brake lines
>     (and maybe fuel lines too?) in the UK.  Presumably it's safe if its
>     use is that widespread, esp. since UK has a safety inspection (unlike
>     most US states).  Are they using straight copper, or the Cunifer alloy
>     mentioned earlier?

Copper is generally only used on cars that originally had copper fuel
lines, generally up to 1930-40 era, most vehicles of this eara, and a
great many immediately after, had cable or rod operated brakes so the
brake pipe issue doesn't usually come up.

With the introduction of mass production hydraulic brakes in the 50's
steel was almost universally used, more for reasons of cost rather than
the known safety issue of unsupported copper pipe fracturing due to
vibration induced work hardening. I was told some years ago that if you
*had* to use copper you should clip it to something solid every 6 inches
to avoid problems...

99.9% of brake/fuel pipes now replaced in the UK car trade are replaced
with Kunifer (With a "K"!) alloy tube as it is perfectly happy when
supported with the original clips used for the original steel pipe. It
looks attractive as it has a sort of pinky-silver sheen and never
corrodes. It is very easy to form into intricate shapes and you can get
matching finish union nuts.

As far as the UK safety inspection is concerned (it's known as "the
MOT"), the Ministry of Transport Annual Vehicle Inspection, it only looks
for severe corrosion, actual leaks or inappropriate materials (garden
hose secured by twisted wire fuel lines and so on). As long as it's
"approved" plastic, rubber or metal it's OK.
Actually the entire MOT is a complete fiasco - cars can pass with lethal
faults and if you make any complaint (I once bought a car with a new MOT
and shock absorbers so shot that the car was actually dangerous to drive)
the authorities whitewash it...

Regards

Chris Light

Another day over.
All customers satisfied.
All work up to date.
Oh, and the pigs are fed and ready for take-off.