Re: Tires - NTB

     Joe Simpson and John Basil wrote about their experiences at NTB. By
     the way, NTB, formerly Tire America here in the midwest, is owned by
     Sears. My son purchased a set of Pirelli 700s from The Tire Rack for
     his daily driver, a VW Golf III, to replace the Pirelli 6000s which
     rubbed. I got the 6000s, three slightly used and one brand new. Now
     for the rest of the story ... Son brings in four P6000s on TSW alloys
     on VW and four loose P700s to be mounted and balanced. When NTB
     finished they give him four P700s mounted and balanced on rims on VW
     and four loose P6000s, three good and one with a two inch long cut in
     the side wall. They told him that the cut must have happened before he
     came in. Son comes home, dad gets upset. We returned and dad pointed
     out that no way son could have driven one foot, much less one mile,
     with a cut that size. I also pointed out the tool mark on the inside
     of the tire. NTB orders a new tire, no charge. I took my P6000s to
     another shop, one recommended by The Tire Rack.

     John Katos
     West Dundee, IL

     Alfas
     69 GTV
     73 Spider
     86 GTV6
     87 Milano Plat

     Others
     87 Audi 5000cs Turbo Quattro
     95 VW Golf III
     97 Dodge Ram 5.9l V8 (don't worry, this is a NON-testosterone-laden
     redneck model -- wife's horse trailer pullin' rig)