RE: Stupid GM Features (was GM hates Italian Cars)

"Al Marrin" <amarrin@ufl.edu> said:

>Here's another "feature" of GM cars.  A friend owns a GMC Jimmy.
Couple years back,
>he blew a head gasket and got some water in the oil.  He talked to
several shops
>(both dealers and independents) and was told be every one that the GM
V6 is not
>re-buildable, that he would have to replace the engine with a brand new
one.  And
>no, they weren't just taking him for a ride.  Someone here at work has
a buddy
>that's service manager with a local dealer who confirmed that they
don't rebuild
>them.  Leave it to GM to design a throw-away engine.

I think your friend and coworker have misinformed you, or have been
misinformed themselves.  I just called a local Chevy service department
and spoke with the manager, and also rang up an independent mechanic I
know - both of whom said that all GM V-6 engines are very rebuildable
unless the block is damaged beyond repair.  The Chevy guy said that your
buddy probably got it backward: there are some GM V-6 engines that you
can no longer get *new* - you must either rebuild them or replace them
with a different engine.

My favorite GM feature:  The 4.3L V-6 engine.  I just sold my '88 S-10
Blazer with 161,000 miles on it, the engine still running like clockwork
with no leaking or smoking - and never having needed a single internal
engine repair.  How many of us can say the same for our Alfas?

 -joe