Re: alfa-digest V6 #10

98 11:12:41 -0500
> From: Hirsch <Catenary@compuserve.com>
> Subject: RE: Stripped inlet manifold stud

Hirsch <Catenary@compuserve.com>
> Andrew A wrote:
> > What's a good, back-yard, way to remove studs?
[good stud removal suggestions deleted]

> > Are replacements available or should I get one made up (parts spec. is
> > 8 x 1.25 and 8 x 1.00 x 37mm. All I can work out from that is that the =
> stud =
>
> > is 37mm long! 13mm nut).
>
> My replacement studs come from old, trashed cars. The 8x1.0/8x1.25 is pre=
> tty =
>
> common for Alfa and is used all over the engine (1.25mm pitch for the =
>
> aluminium-to-steel bond, 1.00mm pitch for the steel-to-steel bond). I thi=
> nk for =
>
> this location you might be able to use an 8x1.25 bolt. Another option is =
> to cut =
>
> up a 8x1.25 bolt to convert it into a stud. On reassembly make sure you u=
> se the =
>
> right nut! It's pretty common for people to put a 1.25mm nut on a 1.00mm =
> stud.

It might be pedantic, but I don't recommend replacing a stud with a bolt,
mostly because it's aluminium to steel and you want to disturb this
as little as possible to protect the thread.  The stud is a better idea
because you don't disturb the aluminium next time you want to remove
the intake manifold.

The wrong nuts are definitely very common on rattier Alfa's and a pretty
big problem.  I like to use new nuts if I can get them, they are very
cheap.

dave.