Replies

Hi Gang:

I got a bunch of replies to my last post, and just wanted to thank those
who participated for the rational discussion.  I'm glad to see that we can
judgements on our mothers' states of being.  I really do appreciate the
thoughtful discourse.  Thanks.

On the other hand, Peter Krause wrote:

>P.S. Rich in CO, you are GREAT entertainment! Tell me again, it was the
>higher combustion temp caused by  a "rich" mixture that caused Rob
>Dyson's R & S Mk III two pistons to melt leading the Daytona 24
>Hours?!?!

Dyson's team was probably running as close to stoic as possible.  If you
listened to the interviews, you would have heard them discuss how they were
getting every last bit of power out of the engines that they could, and
figured that they would have to switch engines next year.  You don't get
maximum power out of an engine by running rich.  You don't melt pistons
that way either.

>Need to get your head out of a book and go racing, friend...

Funny you should mention that.  Perhaps you should have done a little
research on me before putting your fingers in gear.  Here's a little bio:

As a kid, with my dad, I attended every USAC Champoinship Car race that
came through my area.  (Pocono, Nazereth, Trenton,...)  I also spent many
Saturday nights at Nazereth, watching the sprints and midgets run.  Bill
Wentz was my neighbor.  I felt my first Offy cam cover (on Bill's midget)
when I was about 6 or 7, and later watched as Bill and his son moved into
Outlaws.  This began my first contact with engine builders.  At 16, I began
working as a Honda motorcycle mechanic, working with Dennis Hammerl, a
well-known motorcycle and kart mechanic in the area.  The same year, I
began flying airplanes.  I continued working as a mechanic for the next 5
years to put myself through college.  I graduated with a degree in
Aerospace Engineering, specializing in aerodynamics, flight dynamics,
aeronautics, and propulsion systems--that's engine design, friend.  (In
airplanes, engines are a rather critical issue.)  After I graduated, I
began working for the Government, developing systems used to predict the
performance and capabilities of foreign aircraft.  You see, I know a bit
about reverse-engineering.  After that, I began developing and analyzing
naval Visual Landing Aids.  The "meatball" you hear so much about when you
see shows about aircraft carriers?  That's part of my work.  Next, I moved
on the the Navy's Flight Dynamics branch, where I conducted analyses on
U.S. and foreign (the SU-27) aircraft, and wrote a number of high-fidelity
flight simulations.  This and the VLA work both involved quite a bit of
interaction with test pilots.  Next, I spent three years developing the
world's first FULLY ROBOTIC aircraft control system.  This is currently
used on the Navy's IAI Pioneer UAV's.  A spinoff of this development was
the SDAR Flight Simulation, which was recruited into SIMNET by the Office
of Naval Research.  You see, I also know a bit about vehicle dynamics and
control.

Since then, I have worked as a consultant to MCI, developing automated
systems to monitor their telephone network, and am now working for iTV
Corporation, of San Mateo, CA.

This isn't the whole story, but you get the picture.  The fact is, very
little of my experience is academic.  Most of it is practical, and is being
used in the real world.  In fact, it's probably going to save your ass one
of these days.

My ability to control machines?  Well, I've been flying airplanes, in real
life and in simulations, since 16.  I have continually applied my knowledge
of vehicle control to my (and others') flying and driving skills.  Last
year at the Alfa Circo, ACOC's track day at Stepleton, my time, in my
Balocco with my wife in the passenger seat (spectator, spotter, timer, and
operator of the stereo recording equipment), was within 1 second of the
fastest 3 liter Milano with a modified engine and suspension.  Wanna REALLY
improve the performance of your vehicle?  Learn how to keep it on the edge.

Peter, did it ever occur to you that I just might know what I'm talking
about?

Rich
Manitou Springs, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco