"Engineering" of Automobiles

As a mechanical engineer, I find it amusing how much credit is given to
automobile engineers.  The thread on modifications has included many
postings from individuals who claim or suggest that the engineers of our
Alfas went through painstaking analysis to determine the natural
frequencies of components and the synergistic behaviors of the assemblies.
Well, not to burst anyone's bubble, but... my impression and anecdotal
evidence suggests that the "engineering" of automobiles has been (until
recently) VERY empirical.  That is, rarely has rigorous analysis been done
to components to optimize them to a given set of performance criteria.  Let
me cite a couple of examples:

In the early 60's the US space program was having difficulties with their
engine development for the Saturn V rocket.  Pressure pulses do to
combustion/fluid dynamic interactions were causing the engines to fail.  So
faced with this problem, did they whip out their slide rules and calculate
the resonances and propose a solution?  Unfortunately, the reality was that
mathematical models of the physics were not sufficiently developed to
predict such resonances.  So, the engineers built and tested scores of
baffle configurations until they found one that worked acceptably.  So much
for "rocket science."

A friend of mine works at GM's Tech Center, on powertrain development.  A
couple of years ago I asked him to find out what software GM uses to model
their exhaust manifolds.  After he spent some time investigating this, he
told me that they DON'T model their exhaust manifolds at all.  This friend
also worked at the Proving Grounds in the mid 80's.  During that time, GM
wanted to put the "cross-fire" fuel injection system on camaros.  So did
they fire up their computers to model the system first?  No.  They pulled
some FI systems from the production floor and plunked them into the
camaros.  The result?  They struggled for weeks to understand why the
systems wouldn't perform properly.  After weeks of tearing their hair out,
they realized that the units they had pulled from production were
defective.  So much for GM's engineering.

The engineering community's ability to model mechanical systems for stress,
vibration, heat transfer, and flow has advanced by leaps in recent years.
Automobile manufacturers probably DO model much of new cars.... it's
certainly cheaper than prototypes.  Some phenomena still defy modeling,
such as turbulent combustion.  So, was my '74 gtv's suspension components
modeled to insure their performance to a given standard.  Well, considering
it was developed in the 60's, I'd venture to guess not.  How about my 70's
developed Milano Verde.  Probably not either.  What about the '98 Dodge
Intrepid?  Probably, yes.

My point?  Until very recently, I believe that automotive engineering was
largely an effort of trial and error and extrapolation from experience.  To
claim that cars developed in the 60's and 70's benefited from rigorous
analysis of their systems and components is being naive.  I'm fairly
certain that with my PC I can do more stress analysis on my GTV in a week,
than it's developers ever did during it's lifetime.

Can anyone substantiate or refute my views with REAL experience from the
front lines?

I'm interested in the responses.

Bob Brady, P.E.
Yardley, PA