[alfa] Re: Alfetta rear transmission mount

David,

No you don't need any Alfa specific tools. I did it in car on a '76 Alfetta GT. Support the back of the transaxle then take the e-brake cable loose. Take out the mount bolt. Lower the transaxle until the mout clears the body mount. I use a 2" pipe nipple (i think it was that size) about 3" long, a 4" long piece of angle 1"x1" with a 3/8" hole, some 3/8" alltread and fender washers that are just smaller diameter than the bushing. I placed the angle on the pipe nipple with the alltread running through them and then through the mount, I place a couple of washers on the other side of the mount and a double nut at the washer end. I then turned the nut on the angle end to remove the bushing. Clean the transaxle mounting hole. Then place the new mount inside the pipe nipple with the washers against one side of the mount, place the alltread through the washers then the mount with the double nut against the washers. Place it up to one side of the transaxle with the alltread through the angle on the other side and turn the nut on the angle side to pull the new mount in.

Steve

Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 7:29:39 -0500
From: <dclve@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Alfetta rear transmission mount

I have an Alfetta sedan with a torn rubber bushing on the rear transmission mount (aka "silentbloc mounting"?). This has been diagnosed as the cause of the brief rumble sound I get upon deceleration. For the repair I am relying on the Workshop manual and a trusted mechanic with lift, etc. but no Alfa-specific tools. Can the bushing be replaced without entirely removing the transaxle and can a removal/installation tool be fabricated or is the factory tool (A.30413) required? Is there any other work that should be done at the same time, such as front mounts? And, finally would extended periods with the car on jack stands contribute to the rear mount failure?
Thanks for the help and for the entertainment. The digest has become a part of my daily routine since I purchased the Alfetta about a year ago, a time which sadly corresponded with the retirement of my Alfa mechanic - who remains a friend but one I try not to abuse with too many telephone calls asking for help.

David Love