[alfa] Valve timing for 105 series

Picky timing question for the seasoned engine rebuilder.

In setting up the timing in my GTV, I notice that when the punch marks on the crank and reduction sprockets align that number 1 piston is a couple of degrees off TDC. The large sprocket is offset to the left from vertical and I assume that the marks on both should line up through their respective centres. This is the way that the Haynes manual I use illustrates the correct position. The question is should the crank then be moved forward to TDC for final cam adjustment or left in the position where the punch marks align on the sprockets? I have a dial gauge ready if the answer is actual TDC. I am assuming that if the timing is seriously out, there will be contact between valves and piston when rotating the crank by hand. Is there another way of determining whether the valves are opening at the correct point? Complicating the matter slightly is the loss of the indicator off the tacho drive that points to the crank pulley. I intend to make one once I have sorted the timing issue out. Does anyone know what it should look like?

Cheers

Michael Findlay
1971 1750 GTV
Fiat Marea Weekend 2.0