[alfa] GTV6 Popping Out of First Gear

Alfisti,

I have had some prior responses from Alfisti.  However, the problem still exists with the shifter slipping out of 1st gear.  The circumstance is the same before and after replacing the balanced clutch and the isostatic linkage.  I have been doing my own Alfa mechanical work, except internal transmission work, for about 35 or so years (Duetto, Giulia GTV, Spider, Alfetta, GTV6, etc.).

The isostatic linkage has been replaced and the slave cylinder is properly without air bubbles.  The isostatic linkage change solved the problem with the cab shifter hitting the left side of the console box for 1st and 2nd gears.

There are two ways the shifter pops out of 1st gear, both circumstances occur as the car is slowing down for a stop or coasting stop.  Thus, the speed is at about 5MPH, plus or minus.  The first circumstance is that the 1st gear pops out with any contact with the clutch pedal, about 15% of the times of the pop outs; generally I can hear the pop out.  The 2nd circumstance, most of the occurances, occurs about 1/3 of the times of circumstance.  In this case, I have either have not left first gear, have engaged speed and am coasting to the next stop sign.  As I approach the stop sign, I am depressing the clutch pedal to get full coasting.  When the pedal is at about 1 to 1 1/4 inch from the bottom (fully depressed position), the 1st gear will pop out about 1/3 of the times.  Sometimes, I can simulate the circumstance and get a pop out and sometimes the gear will not pop out under simulation (about a 40% chance of simulation creating pop out).  Most of these pop outs occuring while
 depressing the clutch are unnoticed by me, since there is no accompanying noise.  All other shifting works fine, including down shifting into first gear.  1st gear works fine under power and above 5MPH.

Your advise will again be appreciated under the circumstance above given.

Thank you.

Otto F. Schug
Lots of Alfas
schugof@domain.elided