RE: [alfa] 73 Spider Front End Rework

> I'm in the process of reworking the front end on my 73
> Spider. Due to $$$ constraints (as always it seems)  I'm
> trying to limit the replacement to what is needed. My
> replacement list is; lower ball joints, swaybar bushings and
> upper control arm caster bushing. What looks good are the
> upper ball joints, caster control arm inner ball joint (no
> play) and the upper control arm inner bushing (surprisingly
> good). My uncertainty is on the lower A-arm bushings (two ea.
> side). It's not easy to tell what the construction is.
> They don't feel like just rubber bushing. There is no noticible play
> (radial) but they do piviot (side to side) easly over a small
> angle. They act as if there's a limited range spherical
> bearing inside (maybe). Any how are there any recommendation
> out there?!! What is the construction of the lower A-arm
> bushing and is it typical for them to need replacement after
> ~ 80 - 100 K milles?

I'd strongly recommend rebushing everything while you have it apart.  You're
talking a couple hundred bucks to do what you're talking about doing vs
doing everything.  You're already eating all the labor, so you may as well
replace everything while you're there.

I've done a number of complete suspension rebushings now, and it's amazing
how it can transform a car.  You don't notice the degradation over time,
just replacing a ball joint every once in a while doesn't bring things back
to the way the car left the factory.

My .02,

bs