[alfa] Re:156 GTA on 5th Gear

Everybody loves driving the 156 GTA..up to a point. Alfa have still not got
the suspension and damping to work together properly on any of the 156 range.
Its better than it was, but not as good as an Alfa should be. The quality
control problems with suspension bushings (They fall apart at about 11,000
miles) is now being dealt with I am given to understand...only six or seven
years or so after it was first highlighted by owners of GTVs.(which use
basicallly the same parts). Alfa even tried to imply that it was only UK
owners who had suspension problems..neatly forgetting all the Alfa owners who
talk to each other daily on the web all over Europe and indeed the world.

The main 156 GTA farce is the brakes fiasco. The discs warp and the brakes
then judder like crazy. Some dealers have been fitting Brembo Discs and
calipers and curing the fault. Alfa have stamped on this and are issuing
upgrade kits with new bigger discs and calipers..but not on a recall basis.
This is fine, but the original wheels are not big enough for the new calipers,
so they are having to fit new wheels as well...which is fine, but the spare
wheel well in the trunk is too small, so you don't get a new spare wheel, they
give you a can of tyre foam instead.

Do you still think Alfa are ready for a return to the States ?

That being said...I'd have a 156GTA tomorrow if I had the chance, well you
would wouldn't you!

Tim Hancock  Boston UK

164TS
164Super 24Valve  (shortly to be fitted with KoniSport rear struts)