[alfa] Re: rust removal part 2

Hi Chris,
I'll put in my two cents both on and off digest.  I wouldn't bother with the
spray cans of Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator.  The quart container is a much
better value and brushes on pretty well.  Also, I purchased a spray can from
them several years ago, back when it was called "Corroless" and it only
sprayed about 1/3 of the contents before the aerosol failed and the can was
useless.   It wasn't a clogged nozzle, just didn't seem to have any more
pressure in it.  A lot more expensive than a failed can of Krylon.  I probably
should have contacted them but I just never did.  If you want to spray it on
and you don't have a compressor and gun, you can buy one of those glass
bottles with a gas charged (CO2?) sprayer from a hobby shop.  If you have a
November Eastwood catalog and order before the end of the month, the quarts
are on sale with free shipping (over $25.00).   I just received a couple of
quarts of stuff from them today.  Be sure to tell them you're ordering from
the November catalog.  There's no difference in the effectiveness of the
colors, just whatever suits you.
I think that waxoyl or a similar covering would be a waste of time or even
detrimental to future repairs if there is rust already present.  POR 15, Rust
Encapsulator or maybe the RustBullet that Gwynne mentioned are better options.
From what I understand (and what I've seen) Waxoyl or Ziebart are great for a
new car or a freshly restored one, but just make matters worse if rust has
already started.  Hope that helps and good luck.

Bill Sinclair
67 Duetto (inner and middle rockers well coated with Corroless)
73 Berlina (hoping for some new metal and rust treatment this winter - gotta
finish this danged sheetrock first!)