[alfa] Re: Strategy for Alfa's Return

I don't think that Fiat is interested in actually "spinning-off"
Ferrari/Maserati. And there is certainly nothing really in it for Fiat
Auto Group to transfer Alfa - their only money-making brand, to another
division (F/M). If they did so, it would be only to facilitate the
return of Alfa to North America (F/M being the only Fiat controlled car
brands with a US dealer network in place). I suspect that you are
correct about the current Alfa dealer network staying in-place in the
rest of the world if Ferrari took Alfa over, but on the other hand,
Alfa dealers (outside of Italy) aren't very highly regarded, it seems,
and a recent article in the British "AutoCar" specifically mentioned
Alfa dealerships as an area that Alfa needs to drastically improve.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'