[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #422

Don't hold your breath. People at FIAT tell me that returning to the US
market, while something that the company would LIKE to do, is a very
low priority project. There is no staff nor even an "on-paper"
department set-up to facilitate such a return. There is a vague notion
in the company that yes, someday Alfa will come back to the US market,
but it keeps getting pushed back. The new Brera coupe and roadster, for
instance, are being designed with US DOT regulations in mind, as have
the new 158 and 168 sedans, but the cars are just designed so that they
CAN be made to comply, not so that they actually DO comply. The only
thing that "might" change this is if Fiat & Ferrari boss Luca Di
Montezemolo decides to take Alfa out from under the auspices of the
Fiat Auto Group and puts it under the Ferrari/Maserati group (Bingo!
instant dealer network). This is something that Di Montezemolo has
talked about when he was just Ferrari's head, but he's been the top dog
at Fiat Corporate for several months, now and has yet to move on that
proposal.

  George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'