[alfa] re: starter for 73 gtv

The last couple of months I've been having
intermittent problems with the starter of my 73 gtv.
On occasion, especially when the engine is warm, the
starter motor will keep running even after the
ignition is turned off.  When this happens, I usually
run out of the car, disconnect the battery, and then
remove the air filter (to gain some access), tap the
solenoid with a hard tool, and then it goes back to
normal.

This happened to me. Disconnecting the battery
was all it took; I didn't have to hit it with a
hammer. Is that necessary in your case? I cured
mine with a relay between the ignition and the
starter.

If you do change your starter, the series 4 spiders
have the 130 tooth ring that the 73 does and uses
the small starter. The late 80s (86 - 90 ?) uses
a 131 tooth flywheel, so if you get that starter
(bosch part number ending in 024) you need the flywheel
too.

I got the 024 starter and a 131 flywheel for my 74 GTV
and had the flywheel lightened a balanced with a new
clutch an PP. Didn't know at the time that the series
4 spiders had the 130 tooth flywheel.

Stefano
Walnut Creek CA