Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's

At 09:41 PM 11/15/2004, you wrote:

Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:52:19 -0800 (PST)
From: Vangelis Kokkevis <vkokkevis@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] starter for 73 gtv

The last couple of months I've been having
intermittent problems with the starter of my 73 gtv.
On occasion, especially when the engine is warm, the
starter motor will keep running even after the
ignition is turned off.  When this happens, I usually
run out of the car, disconnect the battery, and then
remove the air filter (to gain some access), tap the
solenoid with a hard tool, and then it goes back to
normal.

In any case, I'm looking to replace my starter as this
process is getting a bit old.  I was actually leaning
towards getting a gear-reduction starter from a late
model spider.  As there are different opinions as to
which starters are compatible with the ring gear of a
'73, I was wondering if anybody has tried the
conversion and what worked for them.

Thanks a lot,

Vangelis
Sunnyvale, CA