[alfa] RE: Spider Tapping Noise...

Biba,

A better way to describe this:

The spring is not sticking up but rather it is not perfectly centered
under the retainer and so it rubs against the follower ID.  That
sharp edge created when the ends of the spring are ground square seems
to be what has bitten into the followers.

As a matter of fact, the springs are aftermarket - Shankle performance
springs I purchased about 10 years ago.  This wear may have been
progressing for years or maybe my valve guides are worn causing
valve/spring to waggle and contact the follower ID.

I pulled the head this evening.  Tomorrow I will examine the valves,
springs and guides.

Roger Hambro
'78 Spider
Algonquin, IL