[alfa] Re: Alfa 6 - carbs

Yes, I misunderstood Mr. Milo, because I couldn't imagine what would be
different about the carburetted heads vs the EFI heads, so I "jumped to
the conclusion" that the poster meant 'manifold' when he wrote 'head',
as this part would, indeed be different from the EFI setup. Subsequent
research shows that Alfa Romeo of South Africa imported the rough
cylinder head casting, the crankshaft, and special pistons and sleeves
from AutoDelta in Italy. The heads were fitted (by ARSA) with larger
valves to improve breathing, so there WAS a difference. The decision
was made, early on, to go for more low-range and medium-range torque
for acceleration out of the corners, rather than for big-end power. The
Dellortos used were the same as those used in the Alfa 6, but were
re-jetted and re-choked to suit the larger capacity and bigger valves.
The original 2.5 liter engine was 88 X 68.3 mm, and the SA 3.0 liter
was 93 X 72mm for a total displacement of 2934cc. This differs from the
subsequent production 3.0 liter as found in the Milano Verdi and later
3.0 liter 164s, which was 93 X 72.6 (total displacement: 2959cc) making
the pistons slightly different, but the bores are the same. What's
somewhat puzzling to me is going by the South African "CAR Test"
magazine review of April 1984, showed very little increase in either
acceleration or top speed over the US EFI version.

The Alfa Sei most assuredly had 6 single-throat down-draft Dellorto
carburettors when it was introduced in 1979. Over it's production run
(production stopped in 1984), the car certainly might have used
different aspiration schemes. In fact it might have used different
carburettor set-ups in different markets, and I do know that at some
point the car was changed to the same Bosch L-Jetronic as the GTV-6.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'