[alfa] Re: Mechanical vs electric fans - was single row timing chains

    At 2:41 AM +0000 11/9/04, alfa-digest wrote:

    >    For what it's worth, and that's usually not a lot, the SAE horsepower rating    >    for the 2 litre Alfa engine was 150hp.     >    You'll recall that these figures are generally considered questionable    >    because the SAE method of measuring horsepower involved running the engine    >    without ancillaries such as cooling fans, exhaust systems, air cleaners,    >    probably not even alternators.

  Not even radiators!!  (Which is where most of that extra 20hp
  probably came from--forcing water through a radiator core rather than
  out of a huge reservoir in the laboratory is hard work.)

  Just to clarify, this is SAE Gross power, not to be confused with the
  SAE Net method, which is less silly.

  Joe

There ya go!  Huge HP increase..  slip off that fanbelt from crank pulley
that goes straight up.
Not only do you save the loss from the nasty mechanical fan,  but from
all that water pumping as well!

Kidding... really,  I AM kidding....  kids don't try this at home...

;-)

Jon