RE: [alfa] smaller alternator

Hmmm... I'd think that the average current should go up, and with a CD type ignition system it surely does.. but the basic points style has the points closed (and max current flowing) for the majority of the time. Remember it's the change in current that creates the spark, the sharp opening of the points. So, unless the dwell angle changes somehow it should be about the same, or maybe increasing somewhat due to the number of charge/discharge cycles per second increasing. Maybe it even decreases..

Thing is, it's not that much, in proportion to horsepower.. What's the fuse on the coil circuit, and how much lower than that is the running current? Not sure off the top of my head, but I'll bet it's a 8A, if it's the only thing on that circuit...

Let's look at the power requirements of the alternator, at max load. Let's see, mine is:
12V @ 55A. 12V X 55A = 660W. 746W = 1HP. So, 660W = .88HP, then say the alternator is 80% efficent, we're back up to 1.1 HP required for a full 55A load. I have no idea how much physical work HP it takes to spin up the alternator, bearing drag, belt drag, etc.. but it would seem that going from 0-55A load only adds a HP or so extra. And, you probably never pull the full 55A with everything on in the car..
I'd guess there's probably lots more HP eaten by the fan at high RPM...
So 1-2 HP maybe.. if you are racing, and lightened so that each HP feels stronger.. and you're after 1/10ths of seconds... sure, take the whole dang thing out and run on battery! But for street, it's probably not very noticable. Get rid of the mechanical fan, put in an electric with maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 HP loading on the alt when it runs, and you're probably way ahead of the game.

Uh, IMHO..
Jon

Doesn't the ignition system require the higher voltage/current that is supplied by the alternator especially at higher loads and rpms???
jeff
77 Spider

Ed Lutz <edlutz@domain.elided> wrote:
Its a somewhat common thing with serious street racers to have a alternator cutout switch which takes the alternator out of the circuit all together. It works.

Ed

At 04:37 PM 11/8/2004, White Anthony wrote:

Joe wrote:

> Now that I've given this some thought, I'm inclined to question the
> alternator issue.

I understood Dr Tenney recommended gutting the alternator entirely, and then
running the engine from the battery.
Race only option, of course.

Anthony White
Wellington, NZ