Re: [alfa] single-row timing chains

 Well..  I guess that my info should be taken in the context of "it's
what I've been told, it's what everybody says".

Barring any hard data,  it could be the result of a succesful "mechanic
friendly" rumor that gets passed around..  but it was pretty strong and
universal from my small sample.  Could also be that BMW had a durable
chain,  but Mercedes didn't, in those series of cars.  Could also be, it
happens fairly rarely,  but the consequeces are so dire, you probably
want to have it done just for insurance.

Anyone spend a lot of time in large Mercedes forums?  I checked out a few
web BBS's.. nothing like the Alfa world.  Seems that almost nobody works
on their own Benz. I literally spent 20+ minutes searching the Net for
the spark plug gap spec!!  Whole 'nother world...  ;-)

Jon

Gwynne W. Spencer wrote:

  Interesting - I follow BBS with a very large  audience re BMW E39
  models and I have not heard of a single timing chain failure for the
  V8 (uses single row chain) nor for the inline 6 engines (do not know
  if they are single row, but will ask)

  Gwynne Spencer