[alfa] single-row timing chains

I believe when Mercedes went to single-row chains on the V8s in the 70s/80s
they had a lot of trouble, and eventually went back to double-row.  I recall
they even offered a conversion to retrofit single-row chains on older
engines to double-row.

I can verify this.. We "adopted" my wife's parent's 81 380SL a while ago.. and it had had this modification done to it. Strongly reccomended by their mechanic, and from several other sources I encountered since, it was a weak point in those engines and quite a few broke.
This usually trashed the engine, and probably totaled many cars, with the huge cost of a major engine rebuild from a dealer getting pretty close to value of the car.

Jon and Marcia
77 Spider ("Angelina" our "27yr old Black Italian Co-Wife")
81 380SL (formerly "Ben" now "Ben Her's" my wife's "23yr old Blond German Co-Husband")
(Somehow, I REALLY don't feel the same about that second classification!!!)