Re: [alfa] single row timing chains

At 10:12 AM 11/7/04, Randy & Marge Barnhart wrote:
>anyone know of a source for single row timing chains for 4 cyl 2000, or how to
>remove 1 row from stock chain, and if so what do you use for the master link?

Absolutely NO way that you're going to narrow a double chain to single and
get a usable item.

The later cars use '3DR' type chain. Does the 2000 use '3SR' ??

Used to be Reynold (Brit) made both 3DR and 3SR. An even (MUCH !!!) better
alternative was Jwis (a Benz captive of sorts)-- theirs was considerably
heftier than the industry standard, and was a 'drop-in' replacement for
3DR/3SR.

I don't recall whether any Merc's used the Jwis 3SR equivalent. I think
some chain drive cam Datsuns used 3SR as well. There were also some Asian
made 3SR and 3DR chains available, but, at least back in the day, they
might as well have been made out of used Tootsie Rolls !!

I have no idea what corporate matings or name changes may have taken place
since I was up to date on this stuff.

You are generally going to be MUCH safer and more durable if you buy the
tool (generally available from an industrial roller chain distributor) for
assembling and dis-assembling pin links on the specific type of chain, and
use NO master link at all !!

I would suggest some googling on 'Reynold', 'Jwis', and '3SR chain' (IF
that's what the 2000 uses).

The 3DR and 3SR chain standard dimensions are a 'British Standard' sort of
a thing, not American or continental European.

Greg (was a product development engineer for Morse Chain in the '60's)