[alfa] Re: working with aluminum

Alfisti,

I appreciate everybody's tips on working with our
precious italian machinery.  I have been using a
borrowed screw type torque wrench.  I am pretty sure
that my grandfather-inlaw does not even know it is
missing.  I always unscrew it when I am done, but it
is probably garbage.  What I was working on when I had
my little stripping incident was the little set screw
for the speedo sending unit in the transaxle on my
milano.  I was using what I would consider a medium
length ratchet.  The bolt was in pretty tight when I
removed it to change my sender.  I was not trying to
torque it down, it was not even very tight when I
heard that magical pop.  There was a little bit of
thread left in the hole so I cleaned it up a little
bit and put some loctite on the bolt.  I figure it
just has to stay put, there is no actual stress on it.
 I added it to my list of things that are not
critical, but need a helicoil.

I will get a new torque wrench, and have it calibrated
before my next big project. (rear brake rotors, and a
caliper I think)

By the way, thanks Scott, I have been enjoying  a
working speedo for the first time in a year.

Tim Spruill
Baton Rouge, LA
'87 Milano
'71 Spider