[alfa] re: Valve Clearance Tolerance

For what its worth,
I dropped my S4 Spider clearance to 12 intake 14 exhaust. I did this to eliminate the valve noise that just would not go away. It worked like a charm. I noticed that the engines revs effortlesly from 37500 on up now and the power is far better in the upper revs. Less power in the lower rpms, but not a problem. After doing this I read a service bulletin that said the clearance should be 15 intake ( was 17 ) and 17 exhaust, ( was 19 ).
I have drive about 3000 miles with the new ( 12 / 14 ) clearances and not one problem. I read all of the archives regarding the valve/clearance issue and received emails from all over the world with opinions from, you'll burn it up, you'll throw a valve to " hey I run mine at 10 intake and 12 exhaust without any issues.

Dr. Craig M. Bereznoff
Longmont, Colorado
1993 Spider --