[alfa] Alfa diesels and individual heads

Paul Witek wrote "Of somewhat particular interest to me would be the
turbodiesel offered on the 75 (Milano over here) and created by VM -
inline 4 with individual cylinder heads?  Crazy!", and Kyle, curious
about the individual heads, asked "anyone know where pictures / info
can be found? sounds pretty interesting."

Can be found in d'Amico & Tabucchi, of course. All of the turbodiesels
used in the Alfetta, Nuova Giulietta, Alfa Sei, 90, and 75 in 2.0, 2.4,
and 2.5 versions were based on an earlier VM marine unit, and all look
very similar and very ordinary, with the individual heads all covered
by a single valve cover. The heads are light alloy, on a cast iron
block; the rationale for this construction is not discussed there, but
since the engines all have bores of 88 mm or 92 mm, with either four or
five cylinders, I assume it was simply to gain the flexibility of
modular construction. There are fine cutaway drawings of the 1981
Alfetta 2.0 four on p.736 and of the 1985 75 on p.930, and engine bay
photos of several variants on the individual car entries.

The engines are apparently fairly heavy, but the weight spreads are not
uniform; by d'A & T's numbers the 75 TD is 100 kg heavier than the 75
V6, and the five cylinder 2.5 Sei TD is 240 kg heavier than the Sei V6.

On a (no AC) matter, I will be phasing out my old email address as
quickly as I can; my current credit card billing includes two charges
through a "secure Internet payment" company I had never heard of which
turned out to be for fraudulent subscriptions placed by someone who
snarfed my name, address, email address, credit card info and who knows
what else to enter subscriptions for me to two periodicals, one
"Sensual Distress" and the other "Boy Girl Bank". That email address
(etc) are going in the trash, a new one should appear, and anyone who
wishes to communicate with me in the meantime can please use my
alternate address of giovannisvedese@domain.elided.

Cheers

John H.