Subject: [alfa] re: Calif smog check status?

Andrew, et. al.,

>Its all over: Arnold signed the law. The year 1975 is
>now the last one that is exempt.

Or at least until the law gets changed again, at which point it's anybody's
guess. Is that likely to happen? If, as the saying goes, history repeats
itself, I'd say yes, the law is quite likely to be changed again. The
future is speculation, but don't be too surprised if higher fees or taxes,
or special registrations, or annual mileage limits are imposed on "smog
exempt" cars in the not too distant future.

Long story short, the smog picture is likely to get worse before it gets
better, and tomorrow gets to be today before you know it, so enjoy what
liberties you've got while you've still got 'em.

>If your car is 1976
>or later, it will have to be smogged forever.

I believe there is still the loophole of historic vehicle registration,
though I understand there are mileage and usage limitations.

Myself, I was looking forward to fitting my '77 Alfetta with a twinspark,
i.e., higher performance _and_ lower emissions, but the letter of the law
doesn't need to serve its intended aim, it just needs to be a pain in the
ass. (OK, so maybe I'm a little bitter about being _constantly_ fed BS by
politicians of various stripes.)

YMMV,

RON