From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
Benjamin Woenig
Sent: Wednesday, 27 October 2004 8:21 AM
To: 'Burt Hamil'; alfa@domain.elided
Subject: RE: [alfa] Engines

Alfa engine seems to be quite underrated here in Australia, unless you
are
looking for a 3.0L 75 or 3.0L 24V from a 164. It does depend on where
you
go, a lot of wreckers do anything to rip you off, some are quite
reasonable.

First second hand motor I bought was a twin carb 1.5 boxer for my sud to

replace the single carb model. It's quite a common conversion, however
the
engine I bought cost me a lot more to fix as it had been starved of oil.
The crank was cracked, but luckily I found one at someone's work shop
that had already had machining done. That engine was $350, plus $300 for
the new crank (Aus).

I also bought a 2.0L Alfetta engine from someone in Melbourne for $100.
I haven't installed it yet, but I've been assured it has good
compression,
and was working fine when it was removed. It should keep me going until
I rebuild the original 2.0L from the car I'm working on..

Through the Alfa club members, a twin spark would probably be in the
$1000
mark, and a 3.0L V6 between $1200 and $1800 depending on the model.

We have a wrecker chain here in Adelaide called U-pullit. Basically its
a help your self place and they have set prices for no matter what car
you take it from. I was quoted $300 for a 2.5L V6 from an Alfa 90. It's
not a good place to buy though, as quite often parts are trashed or
stolen before you have a chance to get what you want. The first thing
to go is always the carburettors. $60 each for a set of Weber 40 DCOE's
is pretty good, but you'll almost never see them still on a car.

Another local wrecker has a massive European section, but their prices
are just stupid. I've heard of quotes like $2000 for an Alfetta 2.0L
engine. $450 for an Alfasud bonnet! The rumour has it that they make
their money from drugs and prostitution. It is always nice to see
the owner's Modena and F355 parked out the front though, maybe they
do sell a lot of BMW V12 engines at $20,000 each or something...

~Benjamin

When it comes to finding Alfa engines, is it simply hit or miss? Either
you find what you want from a wrecked car or you don't find it at all? I
am interested in knowing availability of certain engines, just for
curiousity's sake, really. I imagine Alfa doesn't sell engines
seperately of their cars, so I would conclude that finding newer
engines, like the 3.2L 24V V6, would be impossible or uselessly
expensive. I believe that finding a V8 from a Montreal would be also
nearly impossible, and, if possible, also terribly expensive.

So this is not as much of a direct question I am asking, but just
general information on anyone's experience finding Alfa engines for
sale. If you have purchased an engine before, what was your story?

Regards,

Gregory Scott