[alfa] Racing Alfetta brakes - long - so what's new

While not promising, I plan to fade away like a good old soldier regarding this subject....after the following.

Richard Welty, while he wasn't quite this blunt, suggested I stay out of this discussion since I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

And good advice it is since it is between 98 and 99% true.

I'm going to go back to my original argument. One has to work pretty darn hard or be terribly unlucky, or most likely overdrive their car into a corner, to roll that sucker. In other words slow down (just as everyone who has replied Strongly suggest one do when one's brakes begin to fade) and remove roll bars and Especially roll cages since it is obvious they - (a) are not original (b) give the driver somewhat a feeling of invincibility, and (c) especially in the case of roll cages add significant strength to the chassis allowing for more suspension tuning (and yes, even within the spirit of the rules) "can" allow for considerably higher corning speeds.

Richard also mentioned club politics. I'm well aware there are various factions within clubs. While not in the past few years but went to a number of VARA (Vintage Auto Racing Assoc.) races held at Willow Springs. It was interesting to see some cars prepared almost stock and others which looked considerably different than when they left the factory. I picked up that there was a great rift within the club members between complete originality (except for safety considerations) and those who came to win and wanted to be free to modify.

Eleven years ago when I moved to this location, my first project was to complete a '67 Alfa Spider to be used in VARA. I'll say right here, I don't feel it was in the spirit of any vintage racing organization's rules but did enjoy the process (not to mention the business). It came with the windshield posts cut off which apparently had been done many years before. The client had designed his own asymmetrical roll bar which was very well reinforced including a long bar from the "hoop" to the passenger side footwell. Obviously the car had been totally gutted.

I was given a very low, molded dark tinted acrylic "windshield" which had to be ground to fit and then find a way to mount. The major job was the client wanted a dual braking system. I suggested, but left it up to him if it would be allowed, that we go with a later pendulum type Spider clutch / brake system along with the more" modern" brake booster. Not sure whether the booster was a good idea, but needed somewhere to mount the MCs.

I installed the quite warm two liter engine with remote oil filter and oil cooler along with 45 DCOE Webers. Suspension included Konis, heavy duty springs, larger brake calipers, and a rear sway bar. It went on and on, the brake line to the rear ran inside so an infinitely adjustable brake bias handle could be installed.

It passed tech inspection first time out with only the comment my trick oil catch tank was a bit small.

To repeat, in my opinion, it was over the top especially for a vintage racing venue and might might possibly be banned today.

I did go out with the AROSC group to Willow Springs myself in the GTV6. The front donut blew late on the first day at the long track, and the brake fluid boiled whilst on Willow's short track. I'll take complete responsibility for both, especially the latter since it had been a long time since the brake fluid had been changed. I will say though, Tess, once the fluid decided to boil, it was a pretty short time from having a slightly soft pedal to one which went to the floor.

About then I retired from "racing". (Hark! Methinks I hear loud cheering in the background).

I especially enjoyed Richard's comment: "... i know that if i go to Kurt Weiss (a friend of mine who also happens to be chairman of the SCCA comp board) and ask for some rotor allowance, he'll want to know if i've done everything i can to cure the problem within the rules first. right this minute, i can't honestly say that i have."

He does appear to leave open the possibility of Alfetta GT's being allowed to use ventilated rotors - at least in the front - or possibly not.

In reply to Thomas Washburn's comment: "Triple-throwdown ventilated carbon-carbon brakes with 8-piston calipers, for example, would offer a significant competitive advantage over stock brakes" - my original suggestion was "Good lord, why not at least allow ventilated brake discs for any car being raced anywhere, though must be of the same diameter as original and the calipers used must be "similar" to the original? If it doesn't already exist and assuming it is feasible, why couldn't a sophisticated rebuilder manufacture (laser cut) spacers for calipers to allow for the additional width? If feasible and readably available for most any caliper, then change the rules to mandate original calipers, but can be modified as to width only."

(Okay, I added the final "only" just now).

Biba
Happy motoring all
Irwindale, CA USA

http://www.alfacybersite.com/BR67AlfaSpd.html