[alfa] Re: 82 Spider Bosch FI Help

 Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:48:23 -0400
From: Dick Stachowiak <stachowiak@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] 82 Spider Bosch FI Help
<snip>

 I jumped the pump relay and the car started after a bit of
 cranking and seems to run fine now.  I removed the jumper
 expecting the car to die, but it kept running fine.  It now
 starts with no problems without the jumper, but I really
 didn't do anything that should have fixed it.  I'm
 wondering if the real problem is is as simple as a plugged
 up fuel filter that caused the pump to overwork during the
 hard driving.  Is it possible that the few seconds the pump
 runs when you first turn the key on was not enough to prime
 the system with a plugged filter, and when I bypassed the
 pump relay, enough fuel got to the injectors?  I didn't
 have a filter to replace it with, but that will be next on
 the to do list.  I also found in the IAP Spider shop manual
 a description of the pump operation that didn't make sense.
 It said that the tank pump runs with the key in the run
 position and the main pump runs while cranking and once
 started via the ECU.  The pumps are wired in parallel and
 both only run for a few seconds when the key is turned to
 the run position.  If this was my car, I'd be a bit nervous
 taking it too far from home.  Anyone have any ideas?

 Dick Stachowiak East Syracuse, NY

 71 Sider 71 GTV 31 Alfa Replicar
I am thinking that replacing the fuel filter would be a splendid idea. Mine never hiccuped for 22 years - then thrice this year. I replaced all the fuel stuff ( filter, both pumps, all rubber hoses ).
Runs great. Figger I gots another 22 years to worry about it again ( and no fires to worry 'bout either (well, not from this area, anyhoo )).
The filter, though, might should get looked at every other year or so ( depending on your petrol quality, of course ).
--

jeff clark
82 Spider Veloce