[alfa] Racing Alfetta brakes - long - so what's new

It is absolutely unbelievable to me Any racing venue anywhere would ban the use of ventilated brake discs if it is absolutely proven there is virtually nothing which can be done to stop brake fade / brake fluid boiling on a particular car - or on any car that's being raced for that matter.

Jim Steck mentioned to me trying to cool the Alfa transaxle rear brakes by adding cooling ducts, even including fans, was absolutely worthless (Jim, feel free to jump in here at any time).

While I might be mistaken, doubt if many of you out there are professional racers. I don't believe getting sponsorship for a race car, unless that includes a nice salary, counts as being a professional race car driver.

Let's say Bernie (and gang) decided there could be no brake ducting for Formula 1 cars. How many of the upper tier drivers do you think would stay on the job for one nanosecond?

No offense, and perhaps this is a bit dramatic, but feel you racer guys are inadvertently allowing yourselves to become the equivalent of eager cannon fodder - though well aware there are very few deaths (though not sure about injuries) in the racing venues I presume the majority of you are involved with.

I very vaguely follow the racing "scene", while aware today there are fairly stringent rules on what modifications "must" be made to one's car in virtually every racing venue.

What if they turned back the clock and said, "We insist on complete originality, and since your car came with seat belts only, a regular gas tank, no roll bar, let alone a roll cage, no emergency electrical shut-off, no catch tanks for the oil and coolant, etc., and oh yeah, you can only wear a helmet which was available at the time your car was made, along with your racing suit." I'm guessing there are some who would reply, "Way cool." And then there are those who might not be so enthusiastic, and if they secretly are, most likely their "significant other" might well insist on their taking up another hobby.

Good lord, why not at least allow ventilated brake discs for any car being raced anywhere, though must be of the same diameter as original and the calipers used must be "similar" to the original? If it doesn't already exist and assuming it is feasible, why couldn't a sophisticated rebuilder manufacture (laser cut) spacers for calipers to allow for the additional width? If feasible and readably available for most any caliper, then change the rules to mandate original calipers, but can be modified as to width.

That truly has to be a very scary experience to press on the brake pedal at a very high rate of speed approaching a slow corner and the pedal goes to the floor (pump, pump, pump, sumbitch!) - and you're not even getting paid close to 25 million a year to experience this unexpected adventure.

Biba
Who doesn't even qualify as a couch potato racer guy
Irwindale, CA USA