[alfa] Just say No

    Two strikes and they are down for the count (gotta love mixed sports
metaphors!).  Yes, the discountconverter cat. left me and my Spider stranded
once again in the morning rush hour traffic on the DC Beltway yesterday.
The innards collapsed without warning.  The engine would start and idle but
I couldn't get the rpms up above 3k rpm.   And it was making a loud noise
which sounded like bad alternator/generator bearings.  I spent 3 hours
waiting for the tow truck to arrive in the early morning darkness to take me
to my Alfa mech.

    This unit was the replacement for the discountconverter cat. that lasted
barely a month before disintegrating.  This one lasted for about 1.5 years.
Therefore, my recommendation is not to be tempted by their low price for not
only do they fall apart on you, but you need to adjust them to get them to
fit right.  Just not worth the effort.

    Fortunately I stored the OEM cat. and it is going back on the car.  But
my Alfa mech. sez that my ancient O2 sensor is shot.  Can I put in a 1-wire
unit instead of a more expensive 3-wire one?  The Spider isn't long for the
world due to a severe case of terminal rot.

    Bruce

    '86 Spider
    '73 GTV