[alfa] Hello & Help - 164L trans

Buon giorno Alfisti,

I've been reading the postings for a while now and appreciate the wealth of
knowledge and enthusiasm that you all have for Alfas.  I'm an Alfa fan and  a
relatively new Alfa owner, but my enthusiasm runs a little deeper - my  mom's
family is Milanese and my one grandparent who is still living tells  me
stories of growing up in Milan, driving around in my great grandfather's Alfa
Romeos.  That being said, about the only thing I know about the cars is  what I've
picked up reading these postings (thanks!) and I'm probably one  of those
annoying Alfa owners who really just shouldn't own one.

I have a 1991 164L that was originally purchased by an Italian here  and
therefore apparently ordered with a 5 speed, which I'm told was rare.   It has
62000 meticulously kept original miles and runs beautifully.  I  bravely decided
to take it out of town a couple weeks ago, and after coming off  the highway,
I slowed for a red light and then shifted to second as the light  turned green
while rolling up.  The engine stalled, and then the gear  shifter was stuck
in second.  I paid a large amount of money to have  it towed to the closest
Alfa mechanic who could be found from a cell  phone, Al Promisco at Italia
Automobili in Northbrook, IL.  The towing  co. left a note saying that they
initially couldn't even get the car to roll,  but upon arrival at Italia the shifter
was somehow free.  The car will move  in first but when the clutch is engaged
it makes a pretty loud grinding/clanking  noise (like "click-click-click" etc).
 We didn't try taking it past  first.  The mechanic, Al, said that when he
drained the fluid, metal pieces  were hanging on the magnetic plug.  He now has
the tranny out and says at  least the differential is fine.  I just gave him
the OK to take the box  apart and look for what's wrong.

I guess my questions are:  1) has anyone ever heard of this  mechanic?  He
seems to know what he's talking about but I'm concerned  about how many hours
are going to be spent.  He's not cheap and he  says it will be 2-3 hours just to
find out what's wrong once he has the  box apart.  2) Does it seem reasonable
that I'm probably going to  need a new transmission?  (Al says when he finds
out what's wrong,  replacement parts will probably be more costly and
inconvenient than a  refinished transmission?)

Sorry to make my first posting a desperate "help me" question... but I'm
hoping someone out there can offer some comfort.  Although I know an Alfa  owner
should expect these things, It's a bad time of the year for me to have to
worry about this expense.  Thanks and keep up the good work!

Jeremy
_jeremy815@domain.elided_ (mailto:jeremy815@domain.elided)